The temple is of the Thai Theravada Buddhist tradition and closely affiliated with the Kelantanese Thai monastic chapter (khana song rat Kelantan) in Malaysia.
It began with Jao Khun Wijaranyanmuni Cao Khun Khron (Tok Raja, 1876-
In 1962 (BE 2505), Cao Khun Khron (Tok Raja) was invited to visit Singapore by his devotees here. It was on this trip that he informed his followers of his intention to have a piece of land in Singapore to build a temple. Mr Tan Khe Wat, a Singaporean Chinese man was present when the monk spoke of his intent and willingly offered him a piece of land 2.5 ha in size to Cao Khun Khron (Tok Raja).
A short time after having been given the land, Cao Khun Khron passed away.
The land was originally swampy and included a deep pond. Local Chinese villagers used the area to grow grassy vegetables to be used as fodder for pigs, ducks and chickens.
Construction of the temple proper began in 1963 (BE 2506) under the directorship of the late Phra Khru Silakhunaphorn (Than Mitr, 1930-
The temple was given the name Wat Uttamayanmuni. This was derived from a combination of Wat Uttamaram and Phra Wijarayanmuni (the monastic name of Kelantan first Jao Khun).
The first building to be constructed in 1963 was a wooden residence for monks (kuti) with a row of room for three monks and three nuns. There were also 2 lay helpers who lived at the temple. Chinese and Thai devotees in Singapore assisted the temple in securing the necessary finances so as to reclaim the swamp and low lying pond, converting it into high ground.
Phra Maha Suwansuranat assisted Phra Palad Mitr to obtain plans for the construction of the main shrine hall (ubosot) from the Fine Arts Department in Bangkok. The actual construction of the ubosot did not begin until a few years later pending approval from the Singapore government. Once approved, a ceremony of burying foundation stones (phithi wang silaruek) was held. The guest of honour at the event was Jao Khun Jantr. The first stones were planted at the auspicious time of 10.30am on Tuesday, September 11, 1973 (BE 2516).
In January 1980 (BE 2520), Thailand’s then Prime Minister, Thanom Kitikachorn and his family presented a donation of tiles to be used on the roof of the building.
In October of the same year, Mr Phenke Jongsanguan donated the main Buddha image in the ubosot.
Portrait Of Mr Tan Kay Huat
Mr. Tan Kay Huat was a selfless & generous man. He offered his land to Tok Raja to build Wat Uttamayanmuni in Singapore. Without this man & his magnanimity, the wish of Tok Raja to build a Temple in Singapore would not be fulfilled.
Ordination: 1996, Kelantan Malaysia
2003 – Bachelor of Arts Degree in Buddhist Studies with First Class Honours University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka
2005 – Master of Arts Degree in Buddhist Studies with Distinction
Post Graduate Institute of Pali and Buddhist Studies, University of Kelaniya
2003 represented Buddhist monks for a Seminar on the Role of Faith Based Organization and Spirituality in Drug Demand Reduction in Bangkok. Thailand
Attended the 20th International Federation of Non-
Attended 5th Global Conference on Drug Abuse Prevention, under sponsorship
2005 represented Kelantan Sangha members to participate in IV Asian Youth Congress in Penang, Malaysia